This semester my goal was to get up at 5 am, have this full calm morning routine and only have a coffee twice a week. Let me tell you… its week 3 and that has not happened. What HAS happened is a more realistic morning routine that keeps me sane but also happy.
**Times do change according to the day but habits remain consistent**
7:00 am- Alarm goes off
7:10 am- I get out of bed
I am quiet proud of this. I did really well the first two weeks of school keeping a consistent alarm clock. Morning’s are actually enjoyable when I am not running out the door. These first 10 minutes I spend on my phone. Going on social media to see everything I already saw (#habit) and checking my text and Snapchat notifications. Ideally one day I would love to spend my mornings not on my phone but just getting up at decent hour is a good enough start.
Celery juice or warm water
To do list
At this point in the morning is when my routine actually begins. I love to have a glass of warm water right away as it has been suggested it has some health benefits. Oddly enough don’t mind it and it seems to encourage me to drink more water throughout the day. I LOVE making my to do list. It really clears my head and sets my intentions for the day. Having a to do list helps me remember what I need to do and it’s nice to check things off the list as I do them.
7:30- Get dressed/make breakfast
This is the time of morning that chances. I have discovered last week that if I am going to my internship… 6:00 am is probably the best. Last week I got up at 6:30 and was rushing to make some food. On days I am going to babysit I’ll either grab a granola bar or wait until I get home to eat. Whenever I eat breakfast is when I take my probiotic.
- Podcast – yup… I’m one of those who listen to podcast now. And guess what! I love it!! Instead of listening to music in the morning, even though we love a good dance party, it is so nice to listen to a positive and encouraging podcast. It helps set good intentions for the day and start off the day positive.
- Do something relaxing- for me that is watching TV. On the days I have the time, like today, where I don’t have to be anywhere right away I like to watch something. Last week a roommate and I decided to watch a movie. Doing something relaxing to you makes you so appreciative of the early morning start.
Tips to a positive morning Recap-
- Make the first 30 minutes of your day the same. Consistency is key and it will definitely help you keep a peace of mind. This time is just giving your body a chance to wake up and your mind’s time to set its intentions. Whatever you do in this time is up to you but try and choose something beneficial such a to do list, morning yoga/stretch or meditation. If we wake up and have to run our day is automatically going to seem chaotic.
- Make your bed. I didn’t touch on this above but this is important. It takes 2 minutes and leaves you feeling accomplished from the start. It also makes your room feel and look tidy. The best part of this task? Is getting under the covers at the end of the day. Always feels extra cozy when it was made.
- Eat a yummy breakfast. Breakfast has honestly become one of my favorite parts of the day. I make what I’m feeling (usually eggs and avocado toast or a chocolate chip protein pancake) and enjoy every bite. The day is always 100x better when you begin by eating something yummy
- Podcast. Try it. I’m telling you, those self-help/positive thought podcast are the real deal. Currently have listened to 3 episodes of “Kalyn’s Coffee Talk” and it really makes me motivated, confident and excited for the next one.
- RELAX- what a crazy concept. But if we start the day off calm, we automatically feel on top of our game instead of frazzled. Peaceful mornings are key to success.
If you have any morning routine secrets I would love to hear them! I am always looking to improve. If not, I hope you try one of these out because I really think they would be beneficial to anyone not just a college student. I get times will vary because everyone has a different work schedule but an extra 30 minutes in the morning really can change the vibe of your day.